Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda have had a history of cooperation that has dated back to the early 20th century. The Customs Union between Kenya and Uganda was formed in 1917, Tanzania joined in 1927. Burundi and Rwanda joined in 2009. The EAC has had 3 names from its conception; the East African High Commission from 1948 to 1961, East African Common Services Organization from 1961 to 1967 , and then from 1967 to 1977 the East African Community. In 1967 the East African Common Services Organization was superseded by the East African Community, which aimed to strengthen the ties between the members through a common market, a common customs tariff, and a range of public serves to help achieve economic growth in the region. In 1977, the East African Community collapsed due the Kenya requesting more seats in the decision- making organs, disagreements between member countries, and the different economic systems between countries, primarily between Tanzania and Kenya. The East African Community was re-established when its treaty was signed on November 30, 1999, and came into force on July 7, 2000.