Due to the ongoing political unrest and annexation of Crimea by Russia, the information on these pages may not reflect current conditions in the country.
- Chief of State:
- President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Oleksiy Honcharuk
- Government Name:
- Adopted: 1996; Serves as the fundamental law of Ukraine. Other laws and normative legal acts must conform to the constitution. A special legislative procedure is vested exclusively with parliament in regards to the right to amend the constitution. The Constitutional Court of Ukraine is the only body which may interpret the constitution to determine whether legislation conforms.
- Government Type:
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
President represents the nation in international relations, administers the foreign political activity of the state, conducts negotiations and concludes international treaties. Prime Minister can countersign decrees and laws passed by the president.
President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system, Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
Although judicial independence exist in principle, in practice there is little separation of juridical and political powers. Judges are subjected to pressure by political and business interests.
Appointed by parliament.
No term limit
Determines the principles of domestic and foreign policy, introduces amendments to the Constitution of Ukraine, adopts laws, approves the state budget, designates elections of the President of Ukraine, impeaches the president, declares war and peace, appoints the Prime Minister of Ukraine, appoints or approves appointment of certain officials, appoints one-third of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine, elects judges for permanent terms, ratifies and denounces international treaties, and exercises certain control functions.
Supreme Council (Verkhovna Rada) 225 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system in a single, nationwide district, while the remaining 225 members are elected in single member districts.
Regional Trade BlocsNo Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- State Tax Service of Ukraine
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/