- Chief of State:
- President Guðni Thorlacius Jóhannesson
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Bjarni Benediktsson
- Government Name:
- Republic of Iceland
- Adopted: 1944; Established the world's oldest parliament (Althing) and declared the country's independence from Norway and Denmark
- Government Type:
- Constitutional Republic
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
The president is a ceremonial office position and serves as a diplomat and figurehead. The prime minister acts as an executive authority upon the cabinet of ministers.
The president is elected by plurality vote. The prime minister is appointed by the president with the approval of parliament.
Final court of appeal in Iceland.
Judges are proposed by the ministry of interior selection committee and are appointed by the president.
Parliament is the main legislative body in charge of creating legislature.
54 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system and another 9 members are elected by open-list proportional representation in multi-member constituencies.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Ministry of Finance
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/