- Chief of State:
- President Kasym-Zhomart Tokayev
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Askar Mamin
- Government Name:
- Republic of Kazakhstan
- Adopted: 1995; Contains information regarding the relationship between the individual and citizen, details the structure and roles of three government branches, and details the local public administration and self-administration.
- Government Type:
- Republic under Authoritarian Presidential Rule
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
The president determines the main directions of the domestic and foreign policy of the state and represents the country in international relations. The prime minister supervises and organizes the basic government.
The president is elected by plurality vote. The prime minister is appointed by the president with the approval of parliament.
President: 5 years; Prime Minister: at discretion of president
The supreme court serves as the highest of three levels of courts (regional appeal, city, and district courts). The constitutional court judges upon the constitutionality of laws.
The supreme judicial council recommends nominee judges to the president. The president then submits nominees to the Senate for a vote of confirmation.
Information not available
Parliament is divided into the Mazhilis and the Senate. Together they adopt laws, discuss the budget, ratify and denounce international treaties of the republic, issue acts of amnesty to citizens, and establish the procedure for resolving issues of the administrative-territorial division of the country.
The Senate has 15 members who are appointed by the president and another 32 members who are indirectly elected by regional legislatures. The Mazhilis has 98 members who are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system and another 9 members who are selected for minorities.
Senate: 6 years; Mazhilis: 5 years
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Kazakhstan Tax Committee
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/