- Chief of State:
- President Marie Louise Coleiro Preca
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Joseph Muscat
- Government Name:
- Republic of Malta
- Adopted: 1964; Contains information regarding the country background of Malta, a declaration of principles, citizenship, and fundamental rights and freedoms of the individual. Also outlines governmental structure and roles along with overviewing procedures in financeamd the public service.
- Government Type:
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
The president although the executive head of state, resides in all three branches of government. He is part of parliament and appoints the judiciary. The prime minister keeps the president informed on the general conduct of the government and appoints permanent secretaries.
The president is elected by parliament. The prime minister is appointed by the president.
Courts of Appeal hear appeals from decisions of the civil and criminal actions respectively. Constitutional Court has both original and appellate jurisdiction and may perform judicial review.
Judicial Judges of superior courts are appointed by the president along with the Chief Justice of Malta
Mandatory retirement age of 65
The II-Kamra Tad-Deputati is the constitutional legislative body of Malta.
The II-Kamra Tad-Deputati has 65 members that are elected through a single transferrable vote (STV) proportional representation.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Ministry of Finance
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/