- Chief of State:
- President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister António Luis Santos da Costa
- Government Name:
- Portuguese Republic
- Adopted: 2005; Outlines basic topics such as fundamental rights and duties, organization of the economy, organization of political power, the government, autonomous regions, local government, public administration, and national defense.
- Government Type:
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
President is commander in chief of the armed forces, appointing and dismissing the prime minister, dissolving assembly to call early elections, and voting legislation. Prime Minister coordinates the action of ministers and represents the Government of Portugal
President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system. Prime minster is appointed by the president.
President: 5 years, Prime Minister: 4 years
Supreme Court serves as the court of last appeal, while Constitutional Court reviews the constitutionality of legislation.
Supreme Court justices are nominated by the president and appointed by the Assembly of the Republic. Constitutional Court has 10 justices elected by the Assembly of the Republic and 3 are elected by the other Constitutional Court judges.
May dismiss the government through a vote of no confidence, change laws, and amend the constitution.
Assembly of the Republic members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Ministry of Finance
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/