- Chief of State:
- King Philippe
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Alexander De Croo
- Government Name:
- Kingdom of Belgium
- Adopted: 1970; Gradually evolved Belgium into a federal state. In 2003, the Court of Arbitration was introduced and its competencies were expanded which developed it into a constitutional court. It was formally designated as a constitutional court in 2007.
- Government Type:
- Federal Parliamentary Democracy under a Constitutional Monarchy
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
The king is the chief of state representing the Belgian identity and appoints the prime minister with parliament approval. The prime minister is the head of government in charge of the direction of the executive departments of the government and appoints the cabinet.
The monarch is hereditary. The prime minster is appointed by the monarch from the majority coalition.
Until dismissal by monarch
The judiciary branch is in charge of interpreting the constitution.
Appointed by monarch from candidate pool chosen by parliament.
The legislature is in charge of passing laws and voting in the confidence of the federal government.
40 members are elected through a flexible-list proportional representation system. The chamber of deputies has 150 seats elected through a flexible-list proportional representation system.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Belgian Ministry of Finance
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/