- Chief of State:
- President Michael D. Higgins
- Head of Government:
- Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Leo Varadkar
- Government Name:
- Adopted: 1937; mainly focused upon guaranteeing certain fundamental rights and defining the structure of government. Constitution can only be amended by means of a referendum.
- Government Type:
- Parliamentary Republic
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
The president is largely a ceremonial office, but does have discretionary powers. The Taioseach (prime minister) can instruct the president to dismiss ministers and also request, based upon his own initiative, for a parliamentary dissolution.
The president is elected by a majority system with preferential vote. The Taoiseach is appointed by the president.
The court of final appeal may use judicial review, and declare laws and acts of the state to be invalid if they do not represent the constitutional views.
Judges are nominated by the prime minister and cabinet, and are appointed by the president.
Mandatory retirement age of 70
The Dail Eireann is the only house that is able to introduce and amend money bills. The Seanad Eireann has the power to delay legislative proposals and is allowed 90 days to consider and amend bills.
The Seanad Eireanns are elected by indirect vote. 11 members are appointed by the prime minister, and 6 members are elected by indirect vote. The Dail Eireann are elected through a single transferable vote (STV) proportional representation system.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- The Revenue Commissioners
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/