- Chief of State:
- President Michel Awn
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Hassan Diab
- Government Name:
- Lebanese Republic
- Adopted: 1926; Main feature is the representation given to the various religious communities in public employment, the formation of government, and the selection of the legislature.
- Government Type:
- Parliamentary Republic
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
The president is the head of state, appoints the prime minister and cabinet. The prime minister is in charge of day-to-day executory tasks and advising the president.
The president is elected by the national assembly. The prime minister is appointed by the president and approved by parliament.
The Court of Cassation is in charge of dealing with charges against top governmental officials and is the highest court of the land. The Constitutional Council interprets the constitutionality of laws.
Court of Cassation judges appointed by Supreme Judicial Council, headed by the chief justice, and includes other judicial officials. Constitutional Council members are appointed by the Council of Ministers and parliament.
Court of Cassation: Information not available; Constitutional Council: 5 years
Elects president, approves president's appointees, in charge of creating legislature.
128 members elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Ministry of Finance
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/