- Chief of State:
- President Ameenah Gurib-Fakim
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth
- Government Name:
- Republic of Mauritius
- Adopted: 1968; Defines Mauritius as a sovereign democratic State and guarantees fundamental rights to its citizens. It clearly establishes the separation of powers between the legislative, executive, and judicial branches.
- Government Type:
- Parliamentary Democracy
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
The president serves as head of state, commander-in-chief and acts as a ceremonial figurehead. The prime minister presides over the cabinet of ministers.
President is elected by National Assembly and prime minister is appointed by the president.
Highest court of jurisdiction.
Chief Justice is appointed by the president acting after consultation with the prime minister, the Senior Puisne Judge by the President acting in accordance with the advice of Chief Justice and the Puisne Judges by the president with advice of the Judicial and Legal service commission.
Mandatory retirement age of 62
Creates legislature, controls finances of the state, and checks the actions of the government and the ministries.
62 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies and 8 members are appointed by the election commission.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Mauritis Revenue Authority
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/