- Chief of State:
- King Wachiralongkon
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha
- Government Name:
- Kingdom of Thailand
- Adopted: 2007; Drafted by a committee established by the military junta. Additionally, the junta made it illegal to publicly criticize the draft. Contents of the document include the rights and freedoms of the people, structure of the government, duties of the Thai people, direct political participation of the public, etc.
- Government Type:
- Constitutional Monarchy
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
Advises the king on matters of legislation, government affairs, clemency, awards, and other matters requiring the king’s signature.
Prime minister is appointed by the monarch.
Prime Minister: 4 years
Interprets the constitution, as well as adjudicate disputes involving state agencies, state enterprises, and local government organizations, or between state officials and private individuals.
Approved by monarch.
Until dismissal by monarch
Appointment of a regent, declarations by a regent, amendment of the Palace Law on Succession, approval of succession to the throne, reconsideration of bills or organic law bills, constitutional amendments, a declaration of war, and approval of treaties.
Senate (Wuthisapha) has 73 members appointed by judges and independent government bodies and 77 members elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies, and the House of Representatives (Sapha Phuthaen Ratsadon) has 375 members elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies and 125 members elected through a closed-list proportional representation system.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Thai Revenue Department
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/