- Chief of State:
- President John Magufuli
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa
- Government Name:
- United Republic of Tanzania
- Adopted: 1977; Prior to the current constitution, Tanzania had three constitutions. This current constitution confirms the main principles: strong presidentialism, double government structure, and single-party state.
- Government Type:
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
Commander-in-chief of the armed forces, head of government functions.
President is elected by popular vote.
Functions include interpreting diverse laws and execution administrative decisions, hearing and deciding cases filed before the courts of law, and facilitating maintenance of peace and order through good governance and the rule of law.
Appointed by president.
Mandatory retirement age of 60
Has powers to deal with both union and non-union issues which are not in the scope of the Zanzibar Government, discussing bills and passing laws, and scrutinizing the actions of the executive arm of the government.
National Assembly (Bunge) 239 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies, 102 members are reserved for women, 5 members are allocated to members of the Zanzibar House of Representatives, and 10 members are appointed by the president.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Tanzania Revenue Authority
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/