- Chief of State:
- President Dang Thi Ngoc Thinh (acting)
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc
- Government Name:
- Socialist Republic of Vietnam
- Adopted: 1992; Communist Party of Vietnam holds the central role in politics and society. The constitution's focus on strict communist orthodoxy has become less important than economic development as a national priority as seen through recent amendments.
- Government Type:
- Communist State
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
President serves as head of state, nominal commander of the armed forces and chairman of the Council of National Defense and Security. Prime Minister heads a cabinet composed of deputy prime ministers and heads of ministries and agencies, all confirmed by the National Assembly.
The president is elected by the National Assembly and prime minister is appointed by the president.
Responsible for providing leadership to the Vietnamese court system, supervising the judicial process, and recommending bills to the National Assembly as appropriate under law.
Justices are appointed by the National Assembly of Vietnam.
Responsible for fundamental domestic and foreign policies, socio-economic policies, defense and security issues, and it exercises supreme control over all state activities.
National Assembly (Quoc-Hoi) 500 members are elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Ministry of Finance
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/