- Chief of State:
- President Xi Jinping
- Head of Government:
- Premier Li Keqiang
- Government Name:
- People's Republic of China
- Adopted: 1982; The constitution has five sections which include: the preamble, general principles, fundamental rights and duties of citizens, structure of the state, the national flag, and the emblems of the state.
- Government Type:
- Communist state
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
The presidency is the ceremonial office and serves as head of state. It represents China in foreign relations and receives foreign diplomats. The state council is the chief authority overseeing subordinate people's governments.
The president is elected by the national people's congrress.
The supreme people's court is highest court of the land and supervises lower courts in local municipalities.
The chief justice is appointed by the national people's congress. Other justices and judges are nominated by the chief justice and appointed by the standing committee of the national people's congress.
Chief Justice: 5 year terms; Other justices and judges: no term limit
The national people's congress wields the highest power of the government and appoints the state council, president, and judges. It mediates policy differences of the party and government, amends constitution, and supervises enforcement of constitution.
The national people's congress has 2987 members who are indirectly elected by regional legislatures.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Ministry of Finance & State Administration of Taxation
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/