- Chief of State:
- President Klaus Iohannis
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Ludovic Orban
- Government Name:
- Adopted: 1991; Contains 8 titles which detail general principles fundamental rights, liberties, and duties, public authorities, the economy and public finance, constitutional court, Euro-Atlantic integration, revising the constitution, and final and transitional provisions.
- Government Type:
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
President is responsible for safeguarding the constitution, is the supreme commander of the Armed Forces, and the chairperson of the Supreme Council of National Defense. Prime minister chooses other members of government.
President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system. Prime minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
High Court of Justice and Cassation is Romania's supreme court and the court of last resort.
Justices appointed by the president on the recommendation of the Superior Council of Magistrates.
Senate is the higher house of the parliament and both houses serve as a bicameral legislature for the Romanian government.
Senate members are elected through a modified mixed-member proportional system. Chamber of Deputies has 19 members that are reserved for minorities and 315 members elected through a modified mixed-member proportional system.
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Ministry of Public Finance
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/