- Chief of State:
- President Paul Kagame
- Head of Government:
- Prime Minister Edouard Ngirente
- Government Name:
- Republic of Rwanda
- Adopted: 2003; Provides for a two-house parliament, elected President, and multi-party politics. Also sought to prevent Hutu or Tutsi hegemony over political power.
- Government Type:
Index of Economic Freedom
Country Risk Rating
|Main Powers||Election Process||Election Cycle 1|
President is the main executive head, while prime minister is the head of the Council of Ministers.
President is elected by plurality vote and prime minister is appointed by president.
President: 7 years; Prime Minister: Not specified
Highest and independent judicial power.
Nominated by president and appointed by Senate.
Bicameral legislative body, with the senate being the upper house.
Senate has 12 members indirectly elected by regional governing councils, 8 members appointed by the president, 4 members appointed by the Political Organizations Forum, and 2 members are selected by Institutions of higher learning. Chamber of Deputies has 53 members elected through a closed-list proportional representation system and 27 members indirectly elected by special interest groups. Supreme Court judges are nominated by the president of the republic and approved by the Senate.
Senate: 8 years; Chamber of Deputies: 5 years
Regional Trade Blocs
International Organization Participation 
Environmental Agreements 
Tax Information 
- Tax Authority:
- Rwanda Revenue Authority
- Tax Name:
- ElectionGuide http://www.electionguide.org/
- EY, http://www.ey.com
- CIA World Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/